These top ten writing rules from famous writers will inspire your writing and ignite your love of the craft.
A few of you have asked about sources. Here you go!
• All the Stephen King references are from his book On Writing (This book makes a great gift for the writer in your life).
• Pierre Burton references are from The Joy of Writing (thanks to my friend Mehreen who lent it to me not realizing that I will never, ever give it back!).
• The Sherman Alexie rules comes from...oh shoot. I didn't provide a Sherman Alexie rule. I should have. He's awesome.
• The Neil Gaimon, Andrew Morton, AL Kennedy and Margaret Atwood rules can all be found in the Guardian's Rules of Writing column.
• The George Orwell quote comes from his 1946 book Politics and the English Language.
• The Bob Cooper quote obviously comes from the classroom. I can't verify he said it in any official way but I promise he did! By the way, I know that technically Bob is not 'famous' but it's my video and he's famous to me. (God bless our teachers).
• Finally, it's been pointed out that I said 'he' in reference to Al Kennedy. I'm so embarrassed. In my defense, it was my first video and I was nervous. It's a miracle that I was able to get anything out correctly! I didn't even notice it till a few months ago. Sorry to Ms. Kennedy and those of you who adore her as much as I do. And by the way, you guys are pretty awesome for not calling me on it (except the troll who actually blogged about it -- imagine?!) and I appreciate your good manners. - Kim
Spotlight book of the month
by Daymond John
If you are a fan of great stories about how entrepreneurs have risen from humble beginnings to start successful businesses from scratch, The Power of Broke is a must read.
Shark Tank star and Fubu Founder, Daymond John embodies this in true form through his origin story and inspiring rise to fame narrated within The Power of Broke.
This motivating business book will give you a boost, and help you scrape, hustle and dream your way to the top.
Have something to say about this article? Share it with us in the comments section below.